Illuminate is the only Bible study curriculum written by Friends and for Friends.
Beginning fall 2018, content from Illuminate participant and study guides has been combined into one booklet.
• includes seven additional Scripture passages for readers interested in exploring how a week’s themes are addressed in the larger scope of the Bible—one passage for each day of the week;
• identifies two key verses and offers a brief explication, providing the context teachers have told us helps them think about what to focus on each week;
• lists three study goals or conversational aims for a group study, offering small groups flexible guidance about where a conversation about the Scripture might go or what ideas should remain at the center of the group’s time together;
• includes one or two pieces of background information that might help an individual notice meaning in the text;
• offers a suggested prayer that can be read aloud by groups or that might serve as an outline of what to pray for and how to pray (these prayers are adapted and revised from the Book of Common Prayer, offering readers of Illuminate a connection to the church at large);
• has a Quaker quotation relevant to the Scripture passage, offering increased understanding of how Quakers over time have interacted with, understood, and lived out these teachings;
• incorporates two sections of Scripture and commentary that are written to allow for individual study, small group discussion, or teacher preparation;
• has questions suited for classroom discussion, small-group conversation prompts, and individual journaling;
• includes a short, narrative reflection or Friendly Perspective, giving Illuminate lessons a conversational tone while also helping us each week to hear from our Quaker neighbors.